Cognitive sociolinguistics : language variation, cultural models, social systems
A union of Cognitive Linguistics and Sociolinguistics was bound to happen. Both proclaim a usage-based approach to language and aim to analyse actual language use in objective ways. Whereas Sociolinguistics is by nature on the outlook for language in its variety, CL can no longer afford to ignore social variation in language as it manifests itself in the usage data. Nor can it fail to adopt an empirical methodology that reflects variation as it actually occurs, beyond the limited knowledge of the individual observer. Conversely, while CL can only benefit from a heightened sensitivity to social.
- Cognitive linguistics : rationale, methods and scope / Giite Kristiansen and Rene´ Dirven
- Part one. Theoretical aspects : semantic and lectal variation. Prototypes, stereotypes, and semantic norms / Dirk Geeraerts ; Style-shifting and shifting styles : a socio-cognitive approach to lectal variation / Gitte Kristiansen
- Part two. Usage-based variation research. Methodological issues in corpus-based cognitive linguistics / Kris Heylen, Jose´ Tummers, Dirk Geeraerts ; Channel and constructional meaning : a collostructional case study / Anatol Stefanowitsch and Stefan Th. Gries ; National variation in the use of er "there" : regional and diachronic constraints on cognitive explanations / Stefan Grondelaers, Dirk Speelman and Dirk Geeraerts ; Variation in the choice of adjectives in the two main national varieties of Dutch / Dirk Speelman, Stefan Frondelaers and Dirk Geeraerts
- Part three. Cultural models of language and language policy. Rationalist and romantic models in globalisation / Frank Polzenhagen and Rene´ Dirven ; A nation is a territory with one culture and one language : the role of metaphorical folk models in language policy debates / Raphael Berthele ; Cultural models of home in Aboriginal children's English / Farzad Sharifian ; A cognitive linguistics approach to the cultures of world Englishes : the emergence of a new model / Hans-Georg Wolf
- Part four. Socio-political systems. Corporate brands as socio-cognitive representations / Veronika Koller ; Metaphorically speaking : gender and classroom discourse / Susan Fiksdal ; The business model of the university : sources and consequences of its construal / Nancy Urban ; Competition, cooperation, and interconnection : "metaphor families" and social systems / Pamela S. Morgan
- How cognitive linguistcs can help to solve political problems / Karol Janicki.